12 questions the new owners of Swindon Town must answer
Andrew Black and Matt Ritchie, have gone, Jed McCrory’s consortium are nearly here, but Paolo Di Canio is on the brink and we are no nearer the truth, believes Alex Cooke.
Swindon Town Football Club have been taken over by a consortium fronted by Jed McCrory, subject to Football League approval. Matt Ritchie has been sold and Paolo Di Canio is on the brink of quitting. Aside from these scant facts, details are as thin on the ground as grass on the Orient pitch. However, there are some questions that we would all like to know about the future of the club, the players and the manager:-
- Who is actually in charge of Swindon Town at this point?
- Who is involved in the consortium?
- After this week’s debacle how are you – the Board – going to get Paolo Di Canio back on side?
- What is the consortium’s short and long term aims for owning Swindon Town?
- The club are currently losing about £2 million per season. Do you have the financial support to continue this level of debt?
- Who sanctioned the sale of Matt Ritchie?
- Is the sale of Matt Ritchie an indicator of an on-going cash flow issue, and can the squad be kept together?
- Is promotion this year still the aim for the club?
- Is the aim for the club to be sustainable, or will the current model of deficit financing continue?
- Communication from the consortium so far has been almost non-existent, when can we expect some information?
- Does Swindon Town’s future still lie at the County Ground and a redevelopment, or do you envisage a move to another location?
- What is the consortium’s position on closer ties with the Swindon Town Supporters’ Trust, fan ownership and delivering a voice for supporters on the Board?
With a non-disclosure agreement in place some of these questions may not be answered until the takeover is complete. In the meantime this hiatus won’t prevent supporters wanting detail and knowing the future of our Club is secured.
What questions would you put to the incoming board? Add them as a comment below.